Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wyoming

I have driven on Interstate 80 through Wyoming quite a few times and have always wanted to stop and do a century in Rocks Springs or Green River. I finally got my chance in September of 2011.

An overview of the area with Green River marked on the map.

The route planning was easy since there aren't that many roads heading out of the area. I started at a park in Green River and headed south on 530 to the Utah border. On the way back I took a little side trip on McKinnon road to get the extra 10 miles or so I needed.

The route.

The route turned out to be a good one. 530 wasn't busy at all, but there is plenty of shoulder if things are busier during the summer travel season.

Island Park in Green River before the ride.

This was the biggest climb of the day (only ~1000 feet) and it is right outside of Green River. It served as a nice warm-up on the way out, and who doesn't love a downhill at the end of the ride?

Much of the day's scenery reminded me of Nevada.

The Utah border, where I turned around.

Welcome to Wyoming.

Things were a little more red near the border and actually felt more Utah-like.



















No comments:

Post a Comment