Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Alabama

In the summer of 2015 I rode across the country. As part of that, I rode across Alabama. Here's an overview of the route.

Alabama Route

Here are the Strava Links for both days: Petoji Day 20Petoji Day 21

Day 20
Day 21
Both days included portions in other states, but more than 100 continuous miles in Alabama. Here are the logs for each day.



Day 20

Welcome to Alabama. Only 2 states left to go. The day started out hot, but rain came rolling in later on and things cooled off considerably. More importantly, there was less of a headwind along the way. I was coming off of a short (83 miles) day on day 19, so I was feeling pretty fresh out there. However, Day 21 was the last big day left at 168 miles, so I was careful to save a little energy for that.



Another waste of a good shoulder




Day 21
This was the last long day and once it was over I knew I was actually going to achieve my goal of riding across the country. I had a few long days before this- 178 on Day 5, 175 on Day 7, and 180 on Day 13. The same rules applied on all of them: don't fall behind nutrition and hydration.

It was foggy early, which was fun and added to the scenery. As the day went on the fog wore off and it got hot and humid. By the end of the ride there were storm clouds in the distance and I saw a rainbow. There was a little bit of everything on this ride. It seemed fitting that the day would end with a rainbow. Petoji was almost over and my pot of gold was just within reach. I only had 121 miles on Day 22 and 60 miles on Day 23.














Welcome to Georgia


It's been on my mind for a long time!





Rainbow

Rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment