Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Colorado


I rode through Colorado as part of Ride America South to North, my 9-day ride from the Mexican border to the Canadian border.

When you think Colorado, you probably think Rocky Mountains. However, my ride took me through the plains in the eastern portion of the state. I hope to return to Colorado in the future and ride some of the big climbs there. For now, this will have to do.

The whole RASN route
Entering CO
My first CO century
My second CO century
 I also made videos along the way. Here are the relevant days:






As a whole, I was happy with the route. I'll be honest, the CO drivers don't have the best reputation for being friendly to cyclists, but I didn't have any problems. I spent most of my time on 71, which ended up being better than I expected. Traffic was mostly light.

If the Rocky Mountains didn't exist, I would give the route a high rating. However, Colorado has so many huge climbs and I'm sure there are hundreds of better rides to do if you're traveling to Colorado. Generally when I'm planning on riding a new state I try to pick the best part of the state to ride. Obviously that's always going to be up for debate and I'm sure I've done better jobs in some states than others, but I failed big time with CO. I hope to be back later to ride some of those better routes, then I'll add to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment